top of page

Individuals using drones for commercial purposes need a Drone Licence or accreditation from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

To acquire a Drone Licence, a five-day drone training course must be undertaken on the category of drone you wish to operate. The course will consist of a theory and practical training element, and a theory and practical test. Initial drone training courses will include an Aeronautical Operator’s Certificate to allow the use of aviation radio to communicate with other airspace users. Initial training is typically undertaken on multirotor category drones.

A Drone Licence is officially referred to as a Remote Pilot Licence (RePL), and there are no prerequisites other than acquiring an Aviation Reference Number from CASA. The RePL will allow operations for the type of drone within the Visual Line of Sight of the drone pilot.

Initial Multirotor RePL <25kg

    bottom of page